Formed on 15 September 1941, by Dimitrije Ljotić from Chetniks and his Zbor Movement activists. It had twelve 120-150 strong detachments. In January 1943, it become Serbian Volunteer Corps (Srpski Dobrovoljacki Korpus - SDK) with five 500 man battalions - four volunteer and one Chetnik Assault battalion and from 4 January 1943 it also had armored car battalion, cavalry squadron and 6 aircraft - strength is around 3,000 men. Formation was fully equipped by Germans who where impressed by its performance.
Armored car battalion (bornih kola) had some 20 different vehicles - some ex-YU which Germans considered obsolete, few French Renault tanks, Czech and maximum of three German half-tracks in very bad shape. Out of six aircraft, two were Breguet-XIX and one Fieseler Storch. Flights (when aircraft were in flight condition) were allowed only with German supervision.
In 1944 five 1200-man regiments with 500-man artillery battalion, under German tactical command but reporting to General Nedić. On 21 June another regiment was formed - 2nd Iron Regiment (2. gvozdeni puk), total strength has risen to around 9,000 men.
On 8 October 1944 leaves Belgrade, moving to Syrmia and finally retreating to Slovenia. In November 1944 the Waffen-SS took over the job of supplying the SVC, and on paper naming it the Serbian SS Volunteer Corps. But the SVC never had German uniforms, only Yugoslav or Italian, and never donned SS patches or runes.