Unnamed Group Says Behind Kosovo Blasts
PRISTINA (AP)--An unnamed group has claimed responsibility for weekend bombings in Kosovo that targeted a U.N. headquarters and a government building, a newspaper reported Wednesday.
A series of 11 short cell phone text messages were sent to the Kosovo daily Express, in which the group - which didn't identify itself by name - claimed it was is behind the Saturday blasts and threatened more attacks.
The messages contained no clear demands. But the group warned Kosovo's institutions not to compromise on ethnic Albanian demands for independence as the province nears talks to determine its future status, the newspaper report said.
The messages also mentioned the dire economic situation in the province, lack of job opportunities for the young and last week's visit by Serbia-Montenegro's foreign minister as being among its reasons for staging the blasts.
No one was injured in the three explosions, which targeted buildings housing the U.N., the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe and a Kosovo government office. The group claimed to have warned passers-by before the blasts, Express reported.
The province's institutions and Western diplomats have condemned the attacks.
Kosovo has been administered by the U.N. since the end of the war in 1999. It has an elected parliament, president and government but the ultimate responsibility remains with the U.N. overseers.
(END) Dow Jones Newswires